Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Turkey Day


Thanksgiving already. I can't believe that my week off from school is more than half over! Yikes! I've accomplished a lot, but there is much left to do. We celebrated two birthdays this week - - Hannah turned 4 on Tuesday, and Samuel turned 7 yesterday. On Saturday, we celebrated with Samuel. He invited a few friends from school to go and see Bolt 3-D. The movie was pretty good, but I think I would have liked it better without the 3-D. The glasses were bothersome, and there wasn't really anything that the 3-D was needed for. After the movie, we went to CiCi's for some pizza. I thought it would be an easy place to go with a van full of kids. Evidently, a bunch of other people thought the same thing; the place was packed. Samuel had a great time, though - and what an easy party - - little or no prep! Hannah's bday was a little different. I spent a lot of prep time for her bday bash. When I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago, I went to Williams Sonoma and found a set of princess cookie cutters and an adorable pink princess apron. This inspired the party. I spent several hours on Monday baking sugar cookies and cutting them in various princess themed shapes. I also "made" some pretty cute aprons for party favors. (I had asked my mom to help me make aprons, but we found some ready-made aprons at Hobby Lobby, and I ironed-on a princess transfer. I thought they turned out so cute!) Tuesday morning, some of Hannah's little friends from church came over and frosted cookies and played in her room.



I've also gotten the house fairly decked out for Christmas. The kids and I managed to set up the big tree all by ourselves - quite a surprise to John! I switched out all of my dishes for the Christmas set, and have set out an assortment of Christmas decorations. I was really worried about where the big tree would go because our new tv cabinet takes up the whole wall where we used to put our tree. I ended up moving our big chair out of the corner and putting it across from the other living room furniture. It kinda blocks the fireplace a little, and it doesn't face the tv, but I think it looks ok - and it's only temporary. That way, the tree has a really good location in a corner by the fireplace.

We'll be headed to John's brother's house for a big Thanksgiving meal at noon. I'm sure we'll eat way more than we should! Happy Turkey Day!

2 comments:

Leah said...

We went to see Bolt as a reward field trip for school. I thought it was cute. We didn't see it 3-D though.

Book court...

Basically, it's doing a book report court room style. We have a judge, jury, prosecutor, bailiff, court reporter. Each "book reportee" goes on trial, the prosecutor asks questions like author, main character, plot, setting, then the jury decides if the defendant read the book. It's fun, the kids love it.

I let the judge wear my college graduation robe and use a gavel, which is probably the favorite of all, and let him/her be in somewhat control of classroom management, while I sit and grade the report with a rubric.

This is not original. One of my teachers that I student taught under used it.

Back to work tomorrow...thankfully, only three more weeks!

Reba said...

Looks like you had a fun week. It went by much too quickly though. :) I love the birthday party pics...I also love the cooking party. What a great idea! I may have to try that with my girls. Have a wonderful week! Only three to go...