Monday, January 12, 2009

Stuff

Can you believe that I'm finally writing another post? Since joining Facebook, I find it harder to get around to writing something new for the blogging world (not that there are many out there who read this!). School has been back in session for just over a week. Things at school are going fairly well. We've implemented some new behavior plans for our entire group, and so far, they seem to be working - at least a little. That's a good thing because it's a long, long time until June.

I started this semester's grad class tonight. It's GT Curriculum. I am so glad to be back with my advisor; I love sitting under her instruction. I get something out of every class, and it's usually something that I can use in my classroom even though I'm not teaching GT. This semester I will have to write an entire unit based on an "ology" or "ography." I pretty much have free reign over my choice. Any cool suggestions? We spent part of class trying to match "ology" and "ography" vocabulary terms with what was being studied. It was really pretty challenging (although I'm certain that James would have been great at it because of his vast vocabulary!).

4th Grade continues to be a burden on me. Jacob is really doing fine, but his grades have slipped a little. I don't know why I feel such pressure about his performance. Actually, that's not true. I do know why. I still question (on a regular basis) our decision to skip kindergarten. Anytime he misses something, I worry that we made the wrong decision or at least that his teacher questions our decision. Then, if I get onto Jacob to get him to work harder (the problem is mostly not checking work, careless errors, bad handwriting) then he gets all upset. I have got to work on some kind of balance. AUGHHH!!

2 comments:

Reba said...

All I can say is 4th grade IS hard. I have one of those kiddos in my family. And he did go through kindergarten. :) He is doing fine but the workload is heavy and the expectation are MUCH harder than third grade. So put your mind at ease...this truly is normal. (And I think the careless mistakes stuff comes with the age. :)

Susan Seaman said...

I know what you mean about blogging. I haven't blogged since Christmas. I thought I got some pics from Dad that I was going to use, but I can't find them on my zip drive. I guess I'll have to use something else.

Why not videography for your unit? It would work well with your Panasonic stuff.

I think you should quit worrying about Jacob. You can't send him back to kindergarten now, so even if it wasn't the right choice (and I'm not saying that it wasn't), you need to work with where you are now. Maybe just lowering your expectations a bit is all that is needed. We can't all be straight A students all the time. There truly is more to life! We need to learn to get our self-esteem somewhere else.