Thursday, February 26, 2009

My mind isn't here right now. Please leave a message.

One of my students wore a t-shirt today with this clever little message. It pretty much describes my last few weeks. For the most part, I spend the school week running in circles, trying to get enough done to be able to make it to the end of the day and be able to get started on the next one. Lesson plans, grading (grading and more grading - - who gives the kids all these assignments anyway?), basketball practice, my grad class, Wednesday night church, scouts and on, and on, and on.

My sister reminded me the other day of some sage advice I gave her 10-15 years ago. Something about how I wasn't going to run all over the place because my kids had all these different things to do. My kids were going to choose one activity, and that'd be it. I'm sure she just shrugged at me and thought to herself "You're so stupid. Just wait." She would never say it, but she'd be right to think it. Even with limiting activities to just one thing, good grief - I've got three kids, so that's automatically three different things! Plus anything that John and I want to add to the mix. I know this is just for a season, so I'm mainly just trying to roll with the punches.

For the few that actually read my blog, you'll notice that I don't post with any regularity anymore. Part of that is because I've been bitten by the Facebook bug. It's just faster and easier. But, my other sister told me tonight that I should still do it - she likes to read it. So, I'll try to be a little more consistent.

I'm so very glad that tomorrow is Friday. It has been a really, really long week.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Your "other" sister could join Facebook. I like to read your blog, too (in fact I was excited to see that something new had been posted), but writing on Facebook is attractive because it is quicker that writing a blog post.

Reba said...

Even though I see you on FB all the time, I still read your blog. :) I like reading what you write...it is witty. And so true. I know exactly what you mean about thinking you won't run all over the place. And only two of our kids are truly at ages to "do things" that require the running. (And even more, we do limit them somewhat, but still, we seem to "go" a lot) I too keep reminding myself...it is just a season!
Reba

Rebecca S. said...

Well, I could join facebook, but I'm afraid I would not get much else done. I'm already on the computer a ton! Being the webmaster of the TEACH website, blogging, keeping up with the ladies I know on the Five in a Row message board and trying to participate on the LiHD site are enough for now.

Facebook will have to wait and least for the summer and maybe until Rebecca goes off to college and I have to use it to keep up with her.

Rebecca S. said...

Oops, that comment was really from Susan, not Rebecca.