Thursday, July 24, 2008

Please Pray for John

John woke up unable to hear out of one ear - basically not hearing anything at all. He saw an ENT today, and we really expected to find out that he was having sinus problems, and that his eustacian tubes were just stopped up. Instead, we found out that he has a condition called Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss. The cause is not known. Lasting effects are unknown as well. His hearing loss was measured by an audiologist as moderate/severe, and he thinks it's continuing to worsen. He is going to be taking large amounts of prednisone for two weeks to see if that will improve his hearing. There's a 75% chance that his hearing will return in some capacity, either mostly back to normal or limited improvement. There's a chance his hearing will not come back at all. He will have to get an MRI (when we get back from vacation) to determine if there's a tumor on his auditory nerve (benign) which is sometimes associated with this condition.
We are thankful that only one ear is affected; the other ear seems perfectly normal. We are praying that it will remain that way. Please pray that his hearing will be restored to full capacity and that he won't develop any of the other symptoms associated with this condition (vertigo, loss of balance) - especially while on our trip. Please pray that he will be able to enjoy our vacation and that the kids and I will be sensitive to the situation.

4 comments:

Katie No-Pockets said...

Yikes! That sounds miserable. I will definitely be praying for him to heal and for it to not cause any problems while on vacation. I can't imagine how irritating it must be to suddenly not be able to hear out of one ear.

Leah said...

Oh, I will pray, Carol. I'm so sorry. What a terrible thing to have happen!

Although I don't know first hand what it's like to lose hearing, with everything else that my mom struggles with, she also has hearing loss! She is deaf in her right ear (birth defect) and lost hearing in her left ear about two years ago. She now wears a hearing aid.

I WILL pray for John!

Keep us posted!

Leah said...

PS. I like your background. Cute!!! :)

Reba said...

I will be praying! I have never even heard of this or knew that could happen! I hope you have a good family vacation. Surely there can be some kind of blessing in not hearing "Are we there yet?" :) Just trying to find the silver lining...Anyway, I will try to be serious. I do hope you have a good time and will be praying for the MRI and doctors when you return. Who knows, maybe it will be all better then???
Reba