Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Snowy Sunday

It started snowing on Saturday afternoon and snowed for a solid 24 hours. According to our resident meteorologist, we got a whopping 11 inches! The snow was beautiful and puffy with huge flakes. When we woke up on Sunday, we started trying to decide if we'd attempt to make it to church. According to facebook and local news stations, UBC was still having all morning activities, although many local churches were closing. Shortly after we got up, it started snowing much harder, and we decided to not try and get out. Our driveway is super steep, and while going down it in the van wouldn't have been difficult, getting back up . .. another story.

So, what'd we do with our day? I started by making pumpkin muffins (with the correct ingredients this time). I really liked them. John thought they were ok, and the kids wouldn't even try them. The kids bundled up for some outside play, sledding down that steep driveway and throwing lots of snowballs. John was a trooper and went outside with them; he knows that I hate being cold and wet. (One of these days, I need to get some boots and a ski-type jacket so that I can get out in the snow and actually enjoy it!) I made a big pot of chili for lunch (Samuel's favorite), and we played some games and goofed around most of the afternoon. At one point, I thought Hannah must have put herself down for a nap. She had closed herself in her room, and it was completely quiet - - for a really long time. Just as I was about to open her door and check, I heard the singing start. She proceeded to sing through her entire rendition of the musical, Annie. I did actually get her to sit still and sing a little for the camera. John was the cook for dinner. He made some really tasty chicken fajitas. My favorite tv show, Amazing Race, (it's the geography teacher in me that loves this show!) was on in the evening. Once the kids were in bed, John and I watched episode #2 of The Pacific, the new Speilberg/Hanks mini-series about WWII. It's supposed to mirror Band of Brothers in the Pacific theater. It is so good, and really makes you think about how good we have it today (even with all the mess in D.C. going on).

1 comment:

Susan Seaman said...

Sounds like a great day! I loved the video of Hannah singing.