Monday, March 8, 2010

Bring Your Parents to School Day








This week is "Bring Your Parent to School" week in Hannah's Montessori class. I went this morning and observed for about 30 minutes. As always, I am so impressed with Hannah's class and her teachers. Every single child was engaged and working quietly - - EVERY single child. Words can't even describe how jealous I am, and how much I wish 7th grade could be like this. Of course, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the students get to choose much of the work they do. At the beginning of the day, the students get their notebooks and stand in line to meet with one of the teachers. Hannah met with Ms. Lisa, who made all sorts of "work" suggestions. She went through several categories: building work, math worth, journal writing, geography, and natural science. I got to watch Hannah complete two different tasks, building specific shapes and sizes as her "building work" and the "multiplication stamp game." Hannah was so proud of her "work," and she was so much fun to watch.
This afternoon, Hannah went for her kindergarten check up. We went to a different doctor because the Pediatric Clinic couldn't see her until the end of May. The doctor I chose is the mother of Samuel's best friend and of one of Hannah's good friends and Montessori classmates. I must admit that it was really nice going to a doctor who knows my child so well. I may really consider switching; after all, I got an appointment quickly and easily. Hannah is in fine shape. She is 44 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds. (I don't think I'll tell her that neither of the boys weighed 45 pounds until they were in 2nd grade!) I asked the doctor to look at some warts I've been treating on the bottom of Hannah's foot. She said she needed to freeze them off, or they'd never go away. So . . . bring on the liquid nitro. I was a little worried about getting this done on top of getting all of her immunizations (4 shots total), but Hannah was AMAZING. She made not a sound, moved not an inch, and didn't even make any bad faces during the procedure OR any of the shots. (She later told me that the freezing part really hurt bad, but that she wanted to be a big girl.) Big girl she was! The nurses seemed very impressed and allowed her to get more than one toy as a prize.
I can't believe that my baby will be starting kindergarten in the fall. She is very ready and very excited. How did she get so big so fast???







1 comment:

Reba said...

I have been noticing how grown up she is looking lately! Good for her at the doctor. She looks like a good student, working so hard. I can tell she is ready for kindergarten!