Saturday, May 22, 2010

25 Memories of My Mom

Ok - so I know I'm a week late with this post, but given all I remember (and know) about my mom, she completely understands being busy and getting behind.


25 Memories of My Mom

I remember your instructions each time I went out to play with friends - - “Stay within ear shot!” (That actually gave me a pretty big perimeter with which to play!)

I remember how hard it was during my first week as a teacher. After your own day at work, you cooked my dinner, helped me make lesson plans, and even offered to grade my papers!

I remember visiting Grandmother Mills with you at City Hospital each afternoon after school. I remember when you told me that I didn’t have to go every day so that I would have other memories besides Grandmother in a nursing home.

I remember playing in your classroom after school.

I remember many trips when we’d be driving cross-country, and Daddy would get lost because he turned a different direction than what you’d told him.

I remember how you always left a light on when I was out at night and how you always called out, “Carol, is that you?” (Like who else would it be??)

I remember how you helped me get from my house to your car and into the doctor’s office when I was pregnant with Samuel and so very sick.

I remember how you were always standing by with a wet washrag and a saltine cracker when I got sick.

I remember how you painted that awful orange stuff on my skinned knees.

I remember arriving in Ottenstein and being offered a glass of champagne. You just looked at me and said, “Drink it.”

I remember the hours you spent doing counted cross stitch in the evenings after all your work was done.

I remember how you went to bat for me when my band director gave me a hard time about quitting band.

I remember how patient you were when teaching me how to drive (and you were even in a neck brace!).

I remember how you ate the oatmeal I made even though it tasted like wallpaper paste (at least that’s what Daddy said it tasted like).

I remember celebrating your 25th anniversary in the camping trailer with Sara Lee cake and vanilla ice cream that Susan and I had bought at the camp store.

I remember the deal we made about me learning to drive. You’d teach me to drive the car if I’d teach you how to program the VCR.

I remember helping you into that fancy hotel in London and using those fancy cloth napkins to bandage your head.

I remember what you always said when I didn’t know if I should stay home from school: “Only you know how bad you feel.”

I remember the night we were sleeping in the bed at Grandmother’s house, and the bed broke!

I remember how excited you were for me to get a teaching job.

I remember the many times you’ve kept my kids so that I could go to class or do other work towards my master’s degree. I always felt encouragement from you to accomplish my goal.

I remember the many times you cooked Kraft macaroni and cheese instead of making homemade because I liked Kraft more.

I remember many trips to the condo in Branson and the days spent pushing my kids in strollers at Silver Dollar City.

I remember how you weren’t mad when I said I wanted to move home from Tulsa. You just came and helped me pack my stuff and brought me back home.

I remember watching Sound of Music with you every year when it came on TV. And then - - how excited we were to go to Salzburg!

3 comments:

Reba said...

What a neat tribute to your mom! (I have to admit, I thought something had happened to her at first when I saw the title...I was much relieved to read the rest of the post :). I am guessing your mom wasn't in a neck brace DUE to your new driving skills? And I have always preferred Kraft to homemade...

The Huneycutt Family said...

My mom broke her neck in a car wreck when I was 15. She was still in a brace when I got my learner's permit.

You should read each of my sisters' blogs. They each did 25 memories as well. My mom turned 75 last Sunday.

Susan Seaman said...

Great job! It was fun for me to read your memories as many of them are mine as well.