Saturday, May 1, 2010

This is Baseball

Several years ago, you could probably have heard me say something like, "I hate baseball. I hope Samuel doesn't want to play." That was then; this is now. Obviously, I've been transformed into a baseball fan (at least Razorback ball and whatever team Samuel plays for). My sister, Ann, commented to me today (after telling her I was on my way to yet another game) - "Gee, your family has really gotten into baseball." Her comment made me start thinking - "Why, all of the sudden, do I like going to games so much?" Here's what I came up with:

1. The biggest reason - - Our family has found something we all like doing/following. That's a rare thing. We all have pretty different tastes, so we typically don't like the same movies, tv shows, outdoor activities, etc. Somebody is always complaining that they don't want to do whatever is the suggested activity. Even John, who's never really liked sports, likes going to the Razorback games. Today, John and I got to go to the game together. That's not too common - it's usually one of us with one of the boys OR one of the boys with John's mom (they're actually her tickets). We had so much fun going SANS kids and just being one of many couples at the game. He bought me a diet coke and some peanut m&ms. The usher even teasingly gave him a hard time for putting his arm around me.

2. The Razorbacks. It's fun getting to know the players (getting to know about them). You can see their personality more in baseball than in football. It's so much about individual talent and then combining that individuality into a team effort. The players are so encouraging to one another, never getting too upset when someone messes up. Baum Stadium is a fun place as well. Lots of school spirit. Lots of traditions.

3. Samuel loves playing baseball. He has been pretty good thus far (in his short career). This is his first year of machine pitch, and so far he's struck out in every game. He's still done well in the outfield, making a double play and catching a pop fly in the last game. But, he really feels discouraged about not getting any hits. It helps him so much to see the "big guys" strike out and still keep trying and still be considered good players. Going to the Razorback games inspires him to keep working hard to be a good baseball player.

4. Free entertainment. John's mom has two great tickets right behind home plate. We get to use them a LOT. At least once during a weekend series, sometimes twice. And one boy or the other goes when she goes. She also has given us her parking pass. It's so nice to park right outside the entrance. And, she will usually keep the kids if John and I go together. Free babysitting. After ten years of Montessori payments, we like free. So, even though we're going to lots of games - - we haven't ever had to buy any tickets.

4 comments:

Reba said...

It is fun. Right now we rarely go sans kids, but most of the time somebody is headed there with Mark. Maybe one day we can go ALL together. Maybe. :) I do like how the baseball players' personalities shine through. And it really is a fun place to be!

Ann said...

I guess David and I need to try going to a game sometime. We really enjoyed going to the few Razorback football games this fall that we attended. We went because Lisa was in the band, but we enjoyed the football game and the game atmosphere, too.

Mr. Huneycutt said...

I enjoyed it too honey! Thanks for letting me put my arm around you. :)

Katie No-Pockets said...

It does sound fun to have something that you can all enjoy together. And our baseball team is usually quite good, which is also fun!