Sunday, March 9, 2008

"It's Just Wrong!"

That's Samuel's take on Daylight Savings Time. Samuel had an emotional morning as we tried to convince him that it was really an hour later than what most of our clocks said that it was. I guess we should have been careful to change all of our clocks last night so that they would be correct this morning. Samuel just kept saying, "It's just wrong; it's just wrong!"

Today at lunch he said something else funny. We were talking about basketball teams and the fact that North Carolina beat Duke (the underdog). Samuel said he was going to be for teams that were the "upperdog," not the underdog. I guess that's because he wants to be sure of winning!

Today is finally a gorgeous day! I am hoping to get some trip preparations (for our spring break trek to Florida) done this afternoon. I also need to spend more time working on my "invention" for my graduate class. I finally came up with an idea. Now, I just have to figure out how to create it.

I am trying to make clear crayons. These would be used to help teachers with grading. When students grade their own papers (especially at the middle school/junior high age), there's a pretty big chance that students will change some of their answers. If they color over their answers with a crayon before grading, they can't erase/change their answers because of the wax from the crayon. The problem with using colors is that sometimes kids color too darkly or there aren't enough light colors to go around. Thus, the idea of the clear crayon. I haven't decided on a name yet. Maybe "Gradeables" the self-grading marker. I can't seem to figure out something to use for a mold in which to melt my wax. Ann brought over some plastic test tubes that would be the perfect size and shape, but we couldn't get the hardened wax out of it. Crayola makes a crayon maker, so I may have to break down and buy one. Any ideas?

8 comments:

Ann said...

I had an idea after I got in bed last night. How about making a mold out of aluminum foil. Youc could use the testube as a form to make the mold, then take it off and pour in the melted wax. After the wax has hardened you can peel off the foli.

Ann said...

I guess I should have proofed that last comment before I submitted it. Sorry aboout the type-o's.

Susan Seaman said...

I like your invention idea. Ann's suggestion should work. If it doesn't, you could always just make a big tray of wax on a cookie sheet and cut it into square crayons.

P.S. We forgot to set our clocks forward and almost missed church.

Unknown said...

How about making molds out of dried clay or Playdough? You could press something into them in order to get the right shape. Use two halves for the mold and put paper or something like that between them (with a hole cut out where the crayon goes) in order to assure that you can get them apart.

Reba said...

I am with Samuel...it is just wrong. I don't like losing an hour of sleep. :) I smiled on the "upperdog"...Lauren only cheers for whoever is winning. She is not a loyal fan of anybody but the winner at this point. :) I like your invention...cannot wait to see how it turns out! Hope you have a GOOD week. Oh, and I am jealous...I want to go somewhere warm too. :)

Ann said...

Lisa just came in and complained that it seemed way too early to be 10:00 PM. I think we all have problems with the "spring forward" time change, but I sure enjoy "falling back" in the fall. Of course, I will enjoy having it stay light later in the evening now that we have changed to daylight savings time.

James said...

I have a feeling that there are some in this household who are not entirely excited about "springing forward" and would probably agree with Samuel that it is "just wrong." Why can't we just fall back twice every year?

Mr. Huneycutt said...

OK-here's my great idea. Why doesn't Congress decide that at the next 'spring forward' or 'fall back' that we do an increment of 30 MINUTES and just leave it at that afterwards?