Sunday, June 8, 2008

Taking a "Bite" Out of Summer


Well, it's finally happened. Samuel has joined the ranks of kids who have lost teeth. He has been waiting for months for his loose tooth to be loose enough to come out. And, of course, I wasn't here when it happened. I have been gone for every lost tooth so far! I had taken Jacob to a birthday party at Locomotion. John called me on my cell to tell me that Samuel's tooth had come out. Evidently, Samuel was attempting to open a bag with his teeth (something I think his Granddaddy taught him!) and pulled his tooth out in the process.

I spent a lot of time on my teeth again this week. To celebrate the first day of summer vacation, I went back to the dentist for an early morning appointment. I thought I was just getting a temporary crown put on, but found out that I was getting another root canal! Actually, the dentist had to finish the original root canal - - I didn't know he wasn't done. I wasn't super thrilled, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the first time around. I have to go back in two weeks to get the permanent crown put on. Until then, I still can't eat on the left side of my mouth - something I haven't done in about six weeks now. I will say that I like my dentist; he's pretty new, and I wasn't happy that I've had to start seeing him instead of the dentist I've used for years (who is basically retiring even though he's not old enough - - must be nice). Anyway, my dentist called me at home - himself - after each root canal to check on me and see how I was doing. That's pretty impressive. Not many people do that for themselves if they have a nurse, secretary, or assistant who will do it for them. Also, I highly recommend taking an Ipod to any long dentist appointment. It definitely helps for long appointments!

I start graduate classes tomorrow. It will definitely take a big bite out of my summer vacation. I'll be going 9-4:00 every day for three weeks. That sounds pretty bad, but I do get six hours out of the way pretty quickly. Both classes are GT classes with the same professor I've had all this past school year. She's very nice, very laid back, and pretty easy to please. I'm hopeful that it will be painless as far as the amount of work expected outside of class. John will be keeping all of the kiddos. I've been trying to figure out different things to occupy their time so that they'll be easier to watch, not whiny, fighting with each other, etc. One thing they'll be doing is going to Branson for part of the week. My parents will be in a condo there all week. John is planning to take the kids on Wednesday, and then I'll drive up after class on Friday (if I'm brave enough, maybe I'll ditch early!). I get a couple of nights all to myself. Hmm . . . . what ever will I do??

4 comments:

Ann said...

I can think of all kinds of things for you to do, especially since I am "home alone," too. Actually it is kind of nice. I have gotten a lot done this afternoon already, and I've only been here by myself for a few hours. I hope I can continue to be this productive with my whole week.

Leah said...

Okay...I don't know if I told you this on your other post, but I had to have a root canal the summer after my first year of teaching (actually it was right at the beginning of the next school year) and I was scared to death to have it done, but I ended up falling asleep during the procedure. Dr. Tinin (sp? the young one) did mine and he was AWESOME!!! I had to go back twice, too, but it really wasn't terrible. Not how I'd choose to spend an afternoon, but not terrible at all!

I forgot, until you said that, about the frameworks. Ancient History is 7th grade, here too. I actually thought that was the job I was interviewing for, but found out differently in the interview. I'm glad. I prefer 6th grade AND I wasn't exactly thrilled about teaching Ancient History!!! (I would also prefer reading/l.a. but you take what you can get, huh???) Knowing it was geography pretty much sealed the deal for me! I may be gettig in touch with you. All my classroom stuff is at my parent's house in storage right now, so I won't know what all I've got until they bring it up!

Reba said...

Okay, if you cannot think of anything to do, you can come over and hang out with my four...I have plenty I can do. :) A couple nights alone...I could REALLY enjoy that (occasionally).

Congrats to Samuel! How exciting! Neither of my tooth losing kids is very into losing teeth. Lauren has one that is just hanging...she has no desire to lose it. So strange to me. I loved losing teeth. :)
Reba

Susan Seaman said...

Caleb has pulled out three jaw teeth in the past week. He really wants to get braces (he might be my only child who DOESN'T need them), and he knows he needs to lose his baby teeth first.

These teeth were not particularly loose. He worked on them over and over until he got them out. There was lots of pain and blood, but he had a true sense of accomplishment.

In the meantime, if Nathan doesn't lose his baby jaw teeth by September, the orthodontist is going to order them pulled. He asked Nathan to wiggle them often. Nathan is in no hurry and hasn't done a thing.