Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Day = Work Day

We have definitely had our share of snow days lately. More snow than I can remember in a very long time - like maybe since I was in elementary school! We've gotten two snows in the past week and half with about six inches each time. This year, my school district didn't have any built in snow days. And while many people are starting to freak out that we'll be in school during the month of June, I just remind myself that we're almost always still in school during the first week of June; it's not really that big of a deal. I would LOVE year round school and like having time off during the fall and winter - - not just in the summer. Of course, snow days aren't like regular days off. You can't really plan in advance to go on vacation for a long weekend of snow days. (Well, maybe we could . . . )

This year's snow days have all been a HUGE blessing to me. I have so much work to do for my graduate classe (two independent studies). And now, I have my comps to prepare for. All that in addition to lesson plans, grading papers, chauffering kids to piano, basketball practice, the dentist, etc. Instead of lounging around with a book or watching movies on the snowy, cold days, I have put myself to work. Today was pretty productive. I finished the rough draft for two of my four comp questions, and I completed a power point for a 50-page chapter in my pscyh book for one of my independent study classes. Being able to work on grad work all day (because I'm actually caught up with lesson plans and grading) really helps to alleviate some of the stress of what sometimes seems like an insurmountable task.

What did the kids do? Yes, they watched some tv. Each kid had a turn on the computer and a turn playing Wii. Each kid played for a little while with Jacob's ipod touch. (Yes, Jacob willingly shared his Christmas present!) But, Jacob also finished his homework for the entire week and Samuel logged more than an hour of reading time. Hannah played for a long time in her room. So, they seemed to have a great day as well. And, wonderfully - - they all went to bed early!

No comments: