Sunday, February 17, 2008

Family Worship

We had a guest speaker today during church - - Don Whitney from the seminary in Louisville (Leah, is he one of Evan's professors?). He spoke about family worship. His lesson was wonderful but very convicting. John and I have never been consistent with family worship, either as a couple or as a family with children. We both feel like this is something we really need to do. Jacob was in the service with us. He came home excited about trying again, and he spent a good amount of time this afternoon looking for music for us to sing. He wants to be in charge of music for our worship time. He had about five different things picked out; he wants a mix of classical hymns, contemporary choruses, and easy kid songs. He's quite the music minister!

We read through Psalm 67 tonight which was the suggested reading from Pastor Lumpkin's family resources online. It was fun to hear the kids' responses to questions about the passage. During prayer request time, Samuel said we needed to pray for the churches in Indonesia and for the missionaries there to be able to tell people about Jesus. (They're learning about Indonesia during Kids on Mission. I helped with that today, and I didn't think Samuel was paying very good attention. I'm glad that he can wiggle and listen at the same time!). All in all, tonight's experience was a good one.

I would love to hear about the things you do for family worship. Any good ideas for small children? Any good devotional books to recommend?

3 comments:

Leah said...

So cool!!! Evan and I are trying to become more consistent about our "couples" worship time and I hope as Kendall gets bigger, we will involve her as well. I'll be anxious to see what you come up with in the future as far as family worship goes AND to see how your family grows in the Lord as a result!!!

(I haven't heard of Dr. Whitney, but I'm sure he's on staff at Southern. I'm just now becoming familiar with names of teachers.)

Have a good week!!! :) Not too terribly long until spring break, huh? I know you are counting the days!!!

Susan Seaman said...

The best things we have done for family devotions are the Family Nights Tool Chest series by Heritage Builders. I recently heard that these are now out of print. We haven't used them in a while, but the kids still ask to do them again, so I got them out. I'll let you borrow a volume or two next time I see you. We also have a neat Easter devotion series that the kids really enjoyed. I got that at a local conference, and I think it was published just for the conference.

Another favorite that IS still available is "Grandpa's Box." It re-tells all the Bible stories in terms of a spiritual battle. The kids never complained about devotions from this book!

Susan Seaman said...

OK. It says Caleb, but it's really me, Susan. I've got to get Caleb's blog transferred to his own site!