Monday, February 4, 2008

Parking Lot Behavior

Have you ever been yelled at in a grocery store parking lot by a total stranger?? I experienced that for the first time this afternoon. I had to run into Harps to pick up a couple of things I needed for class tonight (it was my night to bring dinner for everyone). As I pulled into the parking lot, a lady and her daughter (who looked about seven) had just come out the door. I pulled into a lane before getting to where they were standing and parked my car. As I walked past their car, she yelled out at me, "Hey, don't you ever stop for children?" I said, "Excuse me?" And then she started yelling at me. I just kept right on walking. I was perplexed the whole time I was in the store about what I should have done. Should I have walked over to her and had a conversation? Should I have apologized if she thought I should have stopped for her? (I really don't think she was even in my pathway in the slightest.) I just thought it was really weird to yell at someone in a parking lot and that perhaps I didn't want to have any more contact than what I was already having.

Of course, I've made my share of comments about people driving or about people in parking lots. But I have never yelled at someone for it. Anyway, now I'm paranoid. I probably won't go to Harps again for a very long time.

3 comments:

James said...

That's crazy. You just never know what people are going to do these days. Even if you're careful, you'll eventually run into someone who is having a really bad day, and they'll take it out on you. I guess that the biggest consolation is that we often act that way ourselves, even if we don't show it outwardly.

Katie No-Pockets said...

I've experienced that sort of thing before... I agree it's weird to actually yell at someone for something like that. One time, I think the lady even had me confused with someone else. I just ignored them and went on my way. I think there's no sense in letting someone yell at you when they are that mad. I hope it didn't ruin the rest of the day for you.

Mr. Huneycutt said...

Carol could of taken her. She should of said that woman in her best Brooklyn accent "You talking to me!?"