Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Burn Out

First, let me start out by saying that I do really love my job on most days. However, I am starting to feel really burned out. With each class period at school I find myself doing my own little pep talk about how many more times I have to teach a lesson again before the day is over. I know from experience that life after spring break is usually like this. Fortunately, there is SO much extra stuff going on, both inside and outside of the school day, that time passes pretty quickly. I'm getting a couple of small "rejuvinations" this week with a little time away from school. Today I went to the dentist - - DURING the school day! That's a first for me. I was supposed to go about six months ago, had to cancel and could never manage to get an after school appointment. I finally just decided - hey, that's what sick leave is for. So, I got to relax and enjoy having my teeth cleaned. I decided it's pretty sad when you choose the dentist chair over other stuff. On Thursday, I'm taking the day off to go on a field trip with Samuel's class. My school district now offers leave to do things with your kids. I am making an effort to use every minute of that time! We're going to eat lunch at the park (unless it rains, which it probably will) and then to the UofA farm to visit the animals.

Any suggestions for ways to not feel so tired and ready for a break? I have six more weeks of school before summer vacation. 29 school days. 145 class periods. 4 projects. 2 final exams. 1 field trip. 1 fire drill. You get the picture.

4 comments:

James said...

Although I don't have any purely practical advice, I was reminded of two passages in Ecclesiastes:

8:15
"So I recommend the enjoyment of life, for there is nothing better on earth for a person to do except to eat, drink and enjoy life. So joy will accompany him in his toil during the days of his life which God gives him on earth."

9:7-10
"Go, eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, because God has already approved your works.

Let your clothes always be white, and do not spare precious ointment on your head.

Enjoy life with your beloved wife (err...husband) during all the days of your fleeting life that God has given you on earth during all your fleeting days; for that is your reward in life and in your burdensome work on earth.

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, because there is neither work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, the place where you will eventually go."

I think that that last verse particularly applies. By the way, I'm not trying to be morbid or depressing. I hope Ecclesiastes brings hope, not desperation.

The Huneycutt Family said...

That last verse does bring hope. Part of what one can look forward to in heaven is the end of all this toil on earth. I don't usually mind the work (at home or at school). But, I feel like I'm not nearly as effective as I once was. That makes me sad, and I want to feel that energy for teaching I think I once had. I want to make a difference to feel good at what I do instead of just feeling mediocre.

Reba said...

I don't have any advice, but I totally understand. :) We will feel better once summer has arrived and we have had some rejuvenation time. And taking time off for a field trip is a good thing too. I don't know if I can say that about the dentist though...
Reba

Leah said...

I know I'm not there with you right now, but I can totally relate to the end of the year burn out!!! I was REALLY like that last year, knowing we were moving to a different state, etc.

Hang in there!!!

Oh, and that's awesome that Fayetteville is offering leave time to do things w/your kiddos. Amazing!