Friday, April 18, 2008

Going on a Date

We are blessed to have a high-school aged niece who lives close by who is frequently willing to babysit for us. The kids are always excited to have Lisa come over. The boys rarely even ask where we are going; they don't care that they have to stay at home if Lisa is coming to play with them. Hannah, on the other hand, always wants to know where we're going and when we're coming back. She has to have a hug, a kiss, and a handshake (it's a Montessori thing) before we leave. Today, when John told her about Lisa coming over, she inquired what we were going to be doing. John told her that Mommy and Daddy were going on a date. Her response was, "like on 'Chanting'?" [We have recently watched the movie, Enchanting, and the princess learns what it means to go on a date.] John explained that she was correct. Hannah seemed to really get the concept and was happy for us to leave.

Our date was really a double-date (I didn't explain that concept just yet) with Ann & David. We went out to eat at the Pesto Cafe. It was yummy. It's a place John and I had only been once before, but it's a very popular, local place for Italian food. Then, we went to see the new documentary, Expelled, by Ben Stein. It's all about the debate between evolution and intelligent design (well, you might say the lack of debate). It was very thought-provoking and makes me think about science a little differently.

Unlike my other half, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about or questioning such theories and ideas. I pretty much stick with the child-like faith approach. To me, it doesn't really matter how God created the earth (whether He used evolution as a tool, whether a day was really a day, etc.). I know He created the earth; that's good enough for me. I know what I believe, and I do have my own opinions about creation. I don't have a problem at all with people spending their lives trying to figure it out; I just don't think anyone CAN figure it out. I think it's one of those things we'll only know in heaven. That being said, I am waiting anxiously for the brothers of Consanguinity (who both saw the film today; how weird!) to post their thoughts. The big debate for me is which one of them will weigh in first.

7 comments:

James said...

Unfortunately, we conspired to write a joint-post, so we have weighed in at exactly the same time, although Matt technically wrote his part last night, while I wrote mine this morning. Enjoy!

Leah said...

Thanks for your encouragement about the crib stuff. I honestly WISH I was more like you and not so nuerotic about some things!!! My sister even called me today after she read the blog and was like, "You need to quit worrying!!!" I think some of my anxiety comes from actually knowing people who have lost babies to SIDS and it concerns me. God constantly reminds me that Kendall is HIS, not mine anyway!!!

Glad you got to have a date. Pesto would be one of my choice picks of places to eat in Fayetteville.

Also, do you have an address for the Holiday Inn North? I tried to look it up on line and couldn't find it. I don't know where it is located. If it helps, I would just stay away from the west and south end of Louisville. Anything east and by the airport is pretty safe. I really do want to hook up with you sometime while you are here. I will email you soon.

Leah said...

Indiana is good and safe. There are lots of resteraunts in the Clarksville area too! We actually aren't too far from there!

Keep me posted!!!

Unknown said...

Carol, I think you're right that in the big scheme of things, the physical details of the creation story aren't that important. The important things we learn in Genesis are how we are to relate to God, creation, and each other. However, I also think that the question of origins is a very interesting one.

Ann said...

Like you, Carol, I pretty much accept creation with a child-like faith. I don't really have to know how he did it, but as a science teacher I do feel a need to be more prepared to defend my faith to the scientific community. Since I started teaching science 9 years ago, I have grown more and more interested in science. This increased interest is partly because of my faith because the more I learn about science and the world around me, the more I am impressed by God's awesomeness.

Susan Seaman said...

Well, we haven't seen the documentary yet but may go here in a few minutes. Rebecca wants to see it as well.

I've always been interested in the origins of earth because I struggle to have the child-like faith that seems to come so easy to some. The fact that evolution is so widely believed and espoused by the scientific community has caused me to doubt my faith more than any other single thing (much more than say, the problem of evil in the world). If I can't believe Genesis, I pretty much can't believe the rest either.

I haven't read Matthew and James' comments yet.

Unknown said...

This is a test message from Mom.