Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Parent Teacher Conferences

I had parent teacher conferences for both of the boys today. I had to do them early because I won't be here on Friday during the time I could normally run over to Vandergriff while there's a lull in my homeroom conferences. I'm going to the state geography bee to watch one of my students compete.
Anyway, I was very pleased to find out that many of my prayers have been answered regarding Jacob. Jacob has really struggled with social skills. He, for a long time, would not talk at all to other students and would barely talk to adults (and then, only when asked a direct question). He is now talking up a storm to a few friends has made over the course of being with the same boys two years in a row. His wonderful, wonderful teacher has worked really hard to see this success in the classroom. We are so blessed to have her! Jacob actually told me the other day that one of his friends told him that he talked too much! (Of course, we've been telling him that at home for a long time.) I've never been worried about the academics of skipping him a grade, but I really thought the social would have been easier than it has been. So, getting the report today was a big encouragement and relief.
Samuel, on the other hand, has no problem being social. Kindergarten is very easy for him. His only problem, according to his teacher, is that he blurts out answers and doesn't give others a chance to answer. Kids are so different from each other! I wonder what Hannah will be like.

2 comments:

Susan Seaman said...

I don't know what it's like to have a kid that won't talk, but I do know what it's like to have kids that won't shut up!

Reba said...

Yeah for Jacob! I am so happy to hear that he is socializing more. I remember well that struggle about whether to move him on or not. Thank you for the comment about the conference you had with one of Joshua's "teachers"...it made my heart glow.