Monday, January 14, 2008

Creativity

That's the name of the grad class I'm taking this semester. I had my first class tonight, and I think it's going to be a good one. I have the same professor I had last semester (in fact, she'll teach all of my classes except those required for all MEds - like statistics, yuck!). Our big project this semester is an invention. Yes, I actually have to invent something. My homework, besides the usual reading, is to make a list of everything that really bugs me. Can you imagine such an assignment? Ought to be pretty easy, huh? That's supposed to give me a springboard for ideas for what kind of product I want to try to invent.

I've been trying really hard to stick to my New Year goals. I've been doing a great job of drinking more water. I had my seventh graders write goals last week, and I used that as an example of something I needed to work on. I asked them to hold me accountable by asking me how much water I've had (I drink out of this 48 oz. nalgene bottle at school). Oh my goodness did I open a can of worms with that request! I have a dozen students hounding me throughout the day about my water consumption. Never ask a seventh grader to do something if you don't really mean it! I feel like I've been doing better with eating although it's frustrating to not have immediate results. I think it's part of our immediate gratification culture. It's not in us to want to work hard for something. At least it's not in me. At least not when it comes to food.

Bible study has still been a struggle, but it is at least happening some. Any suggestions on something that will be easy for me to fall into and then become passionate about? I prayed last night for God to give me a passion to spend time with Him. Guess what I read about this morning?? The Revelations passage about losing your first love. The devotion was about having passion for God. It made me feel like I was asking for the right thing and perhaps headed in the right direction. Maybe that's God being creative! After all, creation was pretty creative!!

2 comments:

Leah said...

So, I just have to laugh about the asking 7th graders to hold you accountable!!! :) Been there!!!

I've been trying to read through 1 John. It's pretty good stuff...easy to read, but hard messages to hear sometimes. I'm getting ready to start a new bible study next week. It's a Beth Moore-Psalms. I'm looking forward to it, and am hoping I can keep up w/my 1 John reading.

Oh, the "things that bug you" assignment...that's funny. I'll be anxious to see your invention. :) Keep us posted!

Reba said...

How funny...I was just thinking about inventing something tonight. Maria is always getting books off her bookshelf but then just throws them back on, which ends up being a big mess. I need something that she can slide in to hold her place and know where the book goes when she is done. So if you get tired of inventing, feel free to create that for me. :)

I am so impressed with the exercise and the Bible Study. I am hoping that once I am back in school, I get back to a routine. I really need a little guidance about the Bible. For a long time I lived in Psalms (the adoption process) but now I need to move on, just not sure where.
Reba