Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Learning from the Best

More and more of my family members having gotten into this whole "blogging" thing. I am having a blast visiting each of their blogs, making comments, and reading the comments they make on my entries. My oldest sister, Ann, has four children - all basically grown. The oldest three are all married. As a teenager, I spent an incredible amount of time with them. In many ways they were like younger siblings. I loved playing games with them, watching tv (ok, I probably made them watch too many re-runs of Little House on the Prairie), hiking, eating rotel, etc. At some point, our relationship changed. When I started dating John, I began spending far less time hanging out at my sister's house. The kids finished growing up, and I no longer felt as close. It has always made me sad. I have now having such fun seeing the adults they have become. I am enjoying interacting with them in different ways. I used to be the cool aunt who played with them; now I just hope not to bore them to tears at family functions. They are now the cool ones that my kids want to play with (hide and seek that lasts for hours!). I am thankful to them for the example that they set for my kids! I am thankful for my big sister for her example of how to be a great mom!

8 comments:

Ann said...

Thank you, Carol. The example that I have set is not always as perfect as you seem to think, but God has truly blessed me and our whole family. I don't think there are many families out there that can compare with ours.

I can't wait until Feb. 7 and our "first annual sister trip."

Unknown said...

We're enjoying this too. It's a great way to keep in touch. I remember the standard as being macaroni and cheese with green beans, and then watching the Cosby Show. Maybe next time you come over to our place I'll have to throw myself at your feet and try to keep you from leaving like I used to.

Katie No-Pockets said...

And you're still the cool aunt you always were. Our family is very unique and I don't know any one else who enjoys time with their family (extended included) like I do. I have so much fun with all of you. I may refrain from throwing myself at your feet to keep you from leaving, though.

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

When did you ever stop being the cool aunt? I mean..."Little House on the Prairie" was really terrible, and I hated watching it, but seriously. Just because we're young and "hip" (not really, anyway), it doesn't mean that we are disinterested in the lives of our extended family. I really enjoy reading about your kids and other things that are going on in your life. You won't be boring anyone to tears unless the re-runs reemerge somehow.

Susan Seaman said...

The cool aunt as opposed to who? I mean they only have two aunts!

James said...

"The cool aunt," although you might think, does not necessarily imply a dichotomy. It is not used in the sense that there is also "the not-cool aunt," but rather as a general stereotype. Aunt Susan, you, too, are "the cool aunt." There isn't just one.

The Huneycutt Family said...

Thanks for getting me out of the doghouse, James!